Indian President Pranab Mukherjee
Pranab Mukherjee has been president of India for just over a year. Though his role as head of state is largely ceremonial Mr Mukherjee is a veteran politician having held several portfolios in government.
India’s former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi was his mentor in a political career which began with his election to parliament in 1969.
I went to the Presidential Palace in New Delhi to met Mr. Mukherjee on the eve of his trip to Brussels where he attended Europalia, a four-month event that was staged to raise the cultural profile of India in Europe.
This is my latest video in India – filmed August 2014 in Shimla. One of the oldest Boarding Schools of the Country. For Learning World, on Euronews
Kerala: Dancing with the past
Kerala, the south western state of India, is marketed as a tourist destination for its beaches, forests, backwaters and ayurvedic traditions.
However the state has a rich heritage. The area known as Muziris sprang to fame with some archaeological discoveries, which link its ancient past to present day Kerala.
- Elephants have been an integral part of culture of the state. Kerala is home to the largest domesticated population of elephant in India
- Kerala is the first state in India to reach 100% literacy rate.
- Life expectancy rate in Kerala is the highest in India.
- Female to male sex ratio is highest in India.
- Kerala in the native language, Malayalam means “Land of coconuts”.